Monday, March 12, 2012

New nurse and new bed

Yesterday we finally managed to get a full time nurse to come in 7 days a week to help with my father in law. This is very assuring for me. Numerous times in a week, we been called to go home immediately because he needed help changing oxygen tank, he is dizzy (occasionally because he didn't realise his tank has ran out) or just because he is out of breathe. The fear I get rushing to his house not knowing what awaits me and how I should handle it. Some time ago, I could still get myself ready to rush him to the hospital nearby, but with his reliance on the the oxygen tank, things gets really complicated. The small tank can only last 3-4 hours max.. and how do I carry him attached to the tank into my car... I have no idea. The only way is to call the ambulance if he needs help.

We've also finally invested in a hospital bed for him. It will be easier to change him and definitely more comfortable for him. We started of buying a sofa bed for him because he spends all his time at the living room and he is self-conscious about using a hospital bed. We thought the sofa bed would be good for him as we can lay it flat for him at night to sleep on and then put it up as a sofa in the day. As time goes by, he stopped using the sofa bed and uses the lazy boy armchair instead. He could press a button and have it recline to the point he was almost flat and can sleep. The problem with the lazyboy armchair was that it was deep and made it hard for him to move to a standing position. Changing his soiled pants was really difficult on the lazy boy and the leather seat makes it too warm for him and not a good choice for sitting the whole day in our hot humid weather. Seeing all the option we've tried, we should have bought the hospital electric bed from the very beginning.

The nurse told me my FIL may not last very long. Even though nobody likes to hear that but I appreciate the frankness and I need to make my own heart preparation. The swelling in his legs is getting worst, his skin is thin and has red patches everywhere, he continues to weaken but what saddens me the most is when I see his glazed eyes when I talk him. Mentally he is getting weaker and speaks constantly of death. I sense hopelessness and it's almost like he is lost.. not knowing what to do.... IPF is an extremely hopeless disease. We have ran out of option and I feel hopeless too.

No comments:

Post a Comment